Monday, January 24, 2011

"Get To"

Before I take the stage with my band "90 Proof" a few things are inevitable.  I'm probably going to be a little nervous, I'm probably going to second guess the order in which I've placed the songs, and I'm probably going to be so damn thankful that I "get to" be on stage performing.  So where did this all come from?  A couple weeks ago I was talking with someone.  I don't remember who it was or the circumstances in which we were talking.  I do remember one thing.  I said something along the lines of "and I have a to play a show." I was complaining a little because I was tired or something...I don't remember.  He said back to me "You get to play a show."  Talk about a sucker punch.  I wasn't expecting that response but I'm glad he knocked me down a few pegs.  He's right.  I "get to" play a show.  There are likely many people who wish they had a band or a stage to play.  There are people everywhere who wish they could do a lot of things but maybe don't have the means, connections or circumstances in their lives.  Never should we be in a mindset that we "have to" when it comes to some of life's luxuries and duties.  We "get to" live freely, we "get to" have jobs that allow us to pay for things, we "get to" go on vacations, and we "get to" wake up each day with an option to be happy and go after what we want.   At tonight's show, I "got to" dedicate a song to another man who gave me some golden advice months ago.  I "got to" get a fan up on stage to sing with my band and it made his whole evening.  I "got to" see some old friends who hadn't been to a show in a while and it was wonderful to reconnect.  And, I "got to" have an amazing evening with some of the best musicians I have come to known...my band (Bruce, Danny & Jeff).  Never again will I say I "have to" play a show.  I "get to" play a show.  I'm blessed.  So to the man whom I don't remember that got me to think "get to": thank you!  You, my friend, rock because you helped change this mind for the better.  You, my friend, deserve the stage more than I do.  I have no idea who you are, but I promise to use the stage to help pay your wisdom forward.  And, it's awesome that I "get to" do that for you!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question, comment or advice for me? If so, leave me a message!